Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Sunday, April 9, 2017



Paint Brush
Title: Carry On
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Genre: Young Adult

★★★★★
VIDEO REVIEW

Synopsis: Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who's ever been chosen.

That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right.


Half the time Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here - it's their last year at Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up.

Carry On is a love letter to love stories and the power of words - to every 'chosen one' who ever had more on their mind than saving the world...

I’m going to come out and say this directly: this is my favorite book. This is a difficult thing for me to say, considering my “favorite book” usually shifts every other day. I can, however, say that Carry On is my all-time-favorite without a doubt in my mind. Rainbow Rowell makes use of so many well loved tropes, mocking these tropes while at the same time knocking the air out of you with them, making them feel more real than you thought overused tropes could be.

The Chosen One Trope is something that we’re introduced to very early, even in the synopsis. Simon Snow is the Chosen One, but he’s the worst person that could have ever been chosen. He can hardly control his powers and spends more time being paranoid about his roommate than he does saving the world. Another trope that I absolutely adore is the Enemies to Lovers Trope, which Rowell brilliantly executes. That’s all I’m going to say about that in the non-spoiler section of this review.

If you’d like to see what else I have to say about this book (including spoilers), check out my video review linked above!

Post a Comment

© Abbie Bosworth. Design by FCD.